December 2022 News
- Plastic Tactics (based at DoES Liverpool) making Christmas decorations from unusable plastic bags and milk bottles.
- Anna, who runs Fierce Wife vintage clothing and Style Swap Social events.
- Amy from Dripped Goods with recycled silver jewellery and workshops to show how to make clothing last longer.
- Marie and Emma from Wellington Road Art Studios showing their own work, as well as items from Jan, Marie and Alison, all with a focus on recycling.
- Sonia’s recycled art at Firethorn Crafts.
We’ve updated our Big Green List with the above artists, and more. There are now over 280 entries on the list, which features:
- Groups protecting our green and blue spaces
- Local and organic food businesses
- Reduce, reuse, recycle organisations and zero waste businesses
- Transport groups and organisations
- Eco-School & Eco-Church groups
Download the Big Green List:
We enjoyed the Cool Yule event with the Cool Wirral Partnership at the Floral Pavilion in New Brighton. We gave an update on projects at WEN and heard about progress across the borough from other organisations, including Wirral Council, Planet Heswall and Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority.
As part of our work with the Cool Wirral Partnership, we are looking to collate ‘locally determined contributions’ and Climate Action Plans. If you are an organisation operating in Wirral and you have a Climate Action Plan please tell us about it! We will share these so others can see the great work that is happening on the Wirral and others can learn by example. If your climate action plan isn’t online and you want it to be, we can host plans on our website. Please email email@example.com with your Climate Action Plan, or a link to where it can be found online.
This is the time of the year when we look back at our achievements over the last 12 months. In our Annual Review you will find the Trustees’ Report, followed by information about our gardening classes and courses, Falkland Road Organic Growers (FROG), Learning In Deprived Communities and Cool Communities, environmental education and sustainable lifestyle projects and upcycling workshops.
Download the Annual Review:
We have also produced a video for a visual review of the year. We hope you enjoy watching it on YouTube:
The WEN office closed for the Christmas holiday from Monday 19th December and will reopen again on Tuesday 3rd January. We hope you have an enjoyable Christmas. Thank you for your support in 2022. We are looking forward to sharing more opportunities for eco action in 2023!
If you are looking for something new to try in January, we have several courses starting next month at WEN:
Discover Gardening courses
Practical Gardening – including fruit and vegetable growing
Wednesdays, starting 4th January, 9.30 – 11.30am
A – Z of Gardening – Ornamental and Productive
Thursdays, starting 5th January, 2.15 – 4.15pm
Fridays, starting 6th January, 9.30 – 11.30am
For more information or to book on a course, phone 0151 639 2121 or 07932 355742, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Gardening and Our Changing Climate
4 week Wirral Lifelong Learning course on Thursdays from 12th January to 2nd February, 9.30am – 2pm.
An introduction to the environmental and climate issues that are happening in Wirral.
Download the course leaflet
To sign up, please email email@example.com or telephone 0151 666 3330.