On this page

Wirral Freegle

It is generally better to re-use than to recycle. You can give away most household items free via Wirral Freegle

Use official council reception sites for other rubbish. To comply with the Civic Amenities Act 1967, the following Waste Recycling Centres are open, free of charge, to the public for - car batteries, cardboard, engine oil, garden waste, paper, furniture, rubble, scrap metal, textiles, drinks cans, timber, glass, and soil.
Poulton Bridge, Bidston Moss, Birkenhead, Tel. 653 7698
Greenbank Road, West Kirby, Tel. 625 9901
Mount Road, Clatterbridge, Tel. 334 0019

Wirral Waste Recycling Centres are open seven days a week except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day between the following times:
8.00am to 5.00pm, October to March
8.00am to 8.00pm, April to September

For further information call Merseyside Waste Disposal Authority on 0151 255 1444.


Aerosols can be recycled with mixed cans ONLY at Sainsbury Upton.
They are still best avoided as they can cause problems at recycling plants and may explode if crushed. Use pump sprays instead, these are becoming more widely available. If you need to dispose of one, put it in your ordinary green wheelie bin.

Aluminium drinks cans

Wash and put in grey wheelie bins. Aluminium won't stick to a magnet. Don't squash cans as this makes them more difficult to sort. Aluminium cans can also be taken to supermarket Bring Sites and HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby.

Aluminium foil

Foil can now be put into the scrap metal container at HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby. This has now been confirmed by the company who recycle this material and they are able to extract it. WBC grey bins cannot take foil. Disposal if necessary is in your WBC green bin.


Check with garage/body shop. Nationwide Recycling Environmental Services in Warrington collect specialist motor waste from garages and dealerships including oils, anti-freeze and unwanted batteries. Please let us know of any garages using them.

Art and craft materials

Donate to Wirral Play Council. Please phone (0151 650 0030 or 0151 201 7883) or email if you have suitable materials to donate.


Asbestos is accepted for safe disposal at Bidston HWRC site by appointment only.
Please contact Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority for more information Tel: 0151 255 1444.


For household batteries only - see separate entry for 'car batteries'.
Drop them in to the WEN office in the Sandon Building, Falkland Road, Wallasey, CH44 8ER Mon, Tues or Fri 10.30am - 1pm - there's a box in the entrance area.

Batteries should now be collected at every outlet selling more than 42 kg per year.
Ask at any large shop where you might buy batteries - supermarkets, chemists, hardware, electrical etc.


Salvation Army collect bedding: phone 0151 652 2569 (Birkenhead shop) to arrange collection or take to Poulton Ave Wallasey 0151 638 6899 (M,T,W,F only). Accept bed linen, towels, also pillows, duvets, and quilts in good condition and will wash these.
Bedding can also be put in textile recycling banks.


Bicycles can be taken to HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby. Please ask the operative on the gate for advice - if in good condition it can go to the franchisee for refurbishment or use for parts; poor condition go for recycling usually in the scrap metal container.
Bicycles can be recycled by Pash 07914 527529 at 2 Roscoe Street, Liverpool 1; open Wednesday to Sunday 10.00 to 5.00, bike café for tea/cakes.


Book banks are available at HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby and Bring sites at Sainsbury, Upton, Civic Centre, Bebington, and at Dee Lane, West Kirby. Charity shops accept donations directly and recycle those unfit for resale.

Brake Fluid

Brake fluid is collected for recycling at HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby and residents can recycle it on sites in the Engine Oil container.


Bras are not accepted by charity shops but if in good condition your donated bras should be sent to: - Bra Appeal, P.O. Box 71, Craven Arms, SY7 0WZ, ENGLAND.
For more information and to find out which charities are being helped visit


Most charity shops take small household goods but not electrical items, and not older furniture. Fire Resistant labelling is vital. Two specific possibilities are: Green Community Shop, Christchurch Road, Oxton, 0151 653 2269. YMCA shop, Grange Road, Birkenhead Tel: 647 2834 accepts electrical goods in working order, (except televisions and computer hardware). These are tested and sold.

Bubble wrap

Offer to a charity shop. Otherwise can go into plastic bag collection bins at Sainsbury's Upton & Prenton.

Building Materials - new

Surplus new building materials can be donated to ReciproCity Wirral, Unit 2, Britannia House, Dock Road, Wallasey CH41 1DF. Building materials and DIY supplies are available to buy for at least 60% discount. Phone 0151 639 0651 or email for more details. Open Monday to Friday 8.00am - 5.00pm and Saturday 10am to 4.00pm.

Cans - steel and aluminium

All cans, whether aluminium or steel can be recycled in the grey recycling bin, taken to supermarket Bring Sites or to any Household Waste Recycling Centre.

Car batteries

These can be taken to any waste reception centre. Some garages also accept them for recycling.


Brown card can be composted. Otherwise use WBC grey bins for clean cardboard, or take to any household waste sites.


Carpets are accepted at HWRC Bidston, Clatterbridge & West Kirby for recycling.
Old carpets can also be used to cover compost heaps to increase the heat.

Carrier bags

See entry under Plastic Bags.

CDs & DVDs

Donate unwanted CDs & DVDs to charity shops.
Recycle at HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby.
Damaged and broken discs (including cases) can be dropped in (Mon to Thurs 7.30 am 5.30 pm) or posted to Polymer Recycling, Peninsula Business Park, Reeds Lane, Moreton, Wirral, CH46 1DW. Tel:0151 641 0930.


Try to use biodegradable, phosphate free, non-toxic chemicals.
To dispose of pesticides, insecticides, garden chemicals, household cleaning chemicals and so on, do not pour down drains - call MWDA on Tel: 0151 255 1444 to request disposal.
MWDA will take name and address details as well as details of items to be disposed of. All details are passed to the MWDA's collection and disposal contractor who will contact the resident to arrange a suitable date for collection from the home. The contractor collects as arranged and ensures packaging, transportation and disposal is carried out to all legislative requirements.
Turps / White Spirit - when you have washed your paintbrush, let the turps solution settle then re-use the clean turps again and again. Biffa and Veolia are very active in the Wirral area and can remove chemicals that are used on a large scale.

Christmas cards

Use WBC grey bins for all greetings cards. W.H. Smith, Tesco and main Post Offices usually collect Christmas cards for recycling.

Christmas trees

Chop and put in Brown Garden waste wheelie bin if your household subscribes to this service, or take to Household Waste Recycling Centre sites in January for "chipping" / green waste skip.


Most charity shops accept good quality used clothing. Customers who donate M&S clothes at Oxfam stores will get a voucher worth 5, to be redeemed when they spend 35 or more at M&S, valid for one month.
Salvation Army, phone 0151 652 2569 for collection.
Clothes bank are at most Bring sites and Textile banks are also at HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby.
Textile Banks are also at some schools and adult learning centres and will help them to raise funds.

Beware commercial companies imitating charity doorstep collections. See

Coins or bank notes

Drop old/foreign coins in to the WEN office in the Sandon Building, Falkland Road, Wallasey, CH44 8ER Mon, Tues or Fri 10.30 - 1.00, - there's a box in the entrance area.
Or also collected by RNIB - email for details.


CDL are available on - 01925 730033. They refurbish computers see

Computers For Charity offers a secure and hassle-free way for companies to save money and benefit the community. They will collect redundant computer equipment free of charge and recycle it for use by charities, voluntary organizations and schools throughout the United Kingdom. For further information, please contact 01288 36 11 99 or see

Enterprise Recycling, Unit 1, Victoria Business Park, Victoria Rd, Rhyl, LL18 2EJ. 01745 343144, email Open 9.00am - 5.00pm, Mon -Fri and they also have branches in Porthmadog and Llandudno Junction.

Cooking oil

Cooking oil is accepted at HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby. This is used to make electricity without the need for chemicals like fuel from oil.
Merseycare Transport now runs vehicles on used cooking oil. They can collect direct from your home or business place. (2 litre minimum). Ring to arrange a collection by calling 0151 678 8467, or email
For small quantities pour into your home composter (it's best to mix it first with paper and cardboard).

Drinks cartons (Tetrapaks)

Rinse and flatten then take to Tetrapak banks at all HWRC sites, or Bring Sites at Tesco Heswall: Tesco Bidston; Dee Lane car park, West Kirby: Asda Bromborough; Asda Woodchurch & Bromborough Allport Lane car park.


See entry under CDs.

Electrical goods

Goods in good working order, including washing machines, fridges and dishwashers, will be collected by: the British Heart Foundation furniture and electrical store, 20-26 Milton Pavement, Grange Precinct, Birkenhead, CH41 2YA telephone 0151 515 7010 (book free collection online at, the YMCA charity shop in Birkenhead (able to deliver items) and WIRE in Wallasey 0151 638 6691. Small electrical items can be taken to any Age UK shops also to Barnardos shop in Liscard Rd, Seacombe 0151 638 1769. They test the items and sell those which are safe.
When you buy new items, keep receipts, as under the WEEE directive suppliers must take back electrical goods bought from them for safe disposal when these no longer work.
Small, broken, electrical and electronic items, including fridges and freezers can be taken to any HWRCs - Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby - for safe disposal. Please do not put these into wheelie bins.


Put out with rest of paper in WBC grey bins BUT please remove plastic windows. Buy recycled, or use again with re-use labels. These are now available to buy from the Centre for Alternative Technology, in the on-line shop, or mail order 01654 705959.


Clean, unused fabric, ribbons, etc Wirral Play Council, 0151 650 0030 / 201 7883.


See under Aluminium foil, above.

Fluorescent Tubes

The mercury contained in these is toxic and is recovered safely when taken to HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge or West Kirby.


St John' Hospice tel: 0151 639 2531 will collect, but upholstery must have a fire retardant label.

WIRE provides training and work experience for individuals who are long-term unemployed or unable to work due to illness or disability. Donated goods are refurbished and resold, with profits going back into training. Tel. 0151 638 6691

Besom Project, a church based group, collects good household items for distribution to clients referred by official agencies who are being re-housed or lack essential furniture or household equipment. Phone 07582501570 with offers of donations, see

Furniture in good order and with fire retardant certificates will be collected by the British Heart Foundation furniture and electrical store, 20-26 Milton Pavement, Grange Precinct, Birkenhead, CH41 2YA telephone 0151 515 7010 or book online for free collection. Smaller electrical items or bric-a-brac can be collected with large items.

Wirral Age UK can collect furniture in Wirral, ring 0151 647 7329 for details.
Oxfam can collect furniture in Liverpool, ring 0151 733 6641 for details.

Roy Castle charity shop at 25 Pensby Road, Heswall, CH60 7RA, phone 0151 342 7043 has a car park outside for dropping or collecting off furniture.

If your items are not suitable for reuse you may wish to arrange a bulky waste collection through Wirral Council's ERIC Service. For details call Streetscene on 0151 606 2004 or ask at One Stop Shops; cost is now 26 for 6 items but a bed base, headboard and mattress would be three items.

Garden waste

Compost at home whenever possible. Recycle using the WBC brown bin if your household pays for this service. Recycle larger amounts via the household waste sites at Clatterbridge, Bidston and West Kirby.

Gas bottles

Do not place gas cylinders in your bin because they may explode if they are crushed.
Old gas cylinders can be returned to the retailer or supplier. For gas cylinders other than Calor Gas, you can ring the LP Gas Association on 08457 626379 for advice. For Calor Gas Bottles, please call Wirral Calor Centre phone 0151 666 2177.

Glass / bottles / jam jars

Put in WBC grey bins. Re-use for making jam, washing paint brushes etc. Take to your nearest bottle bank. Please rinse them first.


See Spectacles.


Gypsum and plasterboard can be taken to HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby.

Hazardous Materials

Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority (MRWA) can dispose of hazardous household waste for residents, however it is dependent on what the waste is and how much of it there is.
Examples of hazardous household wastes include: garden chemicals, weed-killers, insecticides, household cleaning products.

If you have waste you suspect to be hazardous please contact them: Telephone: 0151 255 1444, alternatively use the contact form on MRWA website:

Hearing aids

Collected by Wirral Lions at Bebington & Heswall libraries.

Ink cartridges

See under 'Printer & toner cartridges'.

I-pad & I-pod

i-Pad & i-Pod Whether your item is functional or not you can return it to Apple UK for recycling. If your iPod or i-Pad has any monetary value they will pay you for it. Proof of ownership, such as a receipt or registration, may be required.

Junk mail

Contact Mailing Preference Service, DMA House, 70 Margaret Street, London W1W 8SS or call MPS Registration line - 0845 703 4599 for details of how to cut down (but probably not completely eliminate) unwanted direct mail. Otherwise return to sender in reply paid envelope or recycle as paper in WBC grey bins.

Large items

Use Wirral Council's ERIC Service for the removal of up to six items of furniture, including large electrical goods / white goods. (26.50 charge for up to 6 items) Waiting time of approximately 10 days for collection. For details call Streetscene on 0151 606 2004 or ask at One Stop Shops. If you are able you can take your old fridge or freezer to Bidston Waste Recycling Centre.

Low energy light bulbs

These should not be put in your green bin. Recycle Tesco Bidston or Heswall in the store, or at Household Recycling Centres at Bidston, Clatterbridge or West Kirby.


May be welcomed in hospitals, waiting rooms, hairdressers etc. Otherwise recycle as paper in WBC grey bins. Remove plastic wrappers first.


Return to your pharmacy for safe destruction. Do not put in the bin, toilet etc.
Returned, unopened packs of medication within 'use by date' can be recycled at GP surgeries registered with Intercare. Ask at your local surgery.

Mobile phones

Wirral Environmental Network is currently collecting old mobiles. They will be refurbished for use in developing countries. Some libraries also collect phones as do all HWRCs. Tesco Heswall and Tesco Bidston have a collection centre within the store for mobile phones.


Use real nappies, available from
Baby Business, 7, The Mount, Heswall, tel 0151 342 9970 Supplier of Bambino Mio cotton nappies
Babylicious, 90a Market Street, Hoylake, CH47 3BD tel 0151 633 2717 Supplier of Tots Bots, email:,
Lizzie's Real Nappies Chester-based covers Cheshire, Merseyside, Wirral & North Wales. Brands include Tots Bots, Easy Peasy, Little Ewe, Mother-ease, Wonderoo and BumGenius. Also offer 1-1advice.

Office Furniture

New or almost new office furniture can be donated to ReciproCity Wirral, Unit 5 New Way Business park, Oakdale Road (off Dock Road), Wallasey, CH644 7HT. These are then sold at at a discount. Phone 0151 639 0651 or email for more details. Open Monday to Friday 8.00am - 4.30pm and Saturday 10am to 4.00pm.


It is illegal and highly polluting to pour engine oil down the drain. There are oil banks at all of Wirral's waste disposal sites. Vegetable oil cannot be mixed with motor oil for recycling, there are separate containers at each HWRC. Oil Bank Line


Community Repaint Wirral at ReciproCity Wirral, Unit 5 New Way Business park, Oakdale Road (off Dock Road), Wallasey, CH644 7HT accepts most types of paint less than 8 years old, this includes part used cans.
Paint is available to community groups and individuals for 1 per litre plus VAT. Other decorating essentials are available at discount prices. Phone 0151 639 0651 or email for more details.
Open Monday to Friday 8.00am - 4.30pm and Saturday 10am to 4.00pm.


Wherever possible buy and use unbleached recycled paper products. Use the back of old photocopies, junk mail, etc for scrap paper by the telephone. Recycle paper including telephone directories using WBC grey bins or collection bins at HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby. Wirral Play Council use paper to make papier mache. 0151 650 0030.


If of local topographical interest, donate to your nearest library and simply ask them to pass on to the relevant library or records office.

Plant pots

Gordale Nurseries collect plant pots and trays for recycling.
Other garden centres that offered this service have withdrawn it due to the cost.
Burton Garden Centre offer reused sturdy plant pots and seed trays for sale at a very low cost.


Plasterboard and gypsum can be taken to HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby.

Plastic bags

Refuse or re-use where possible. Co-op now supply biodegradable bags. Charity shops often need clean carrier bags.
Some supermarkets accept bags for recycling. Sainsbury's Upton now accept any plastic bags in their bag recycling units. This includes thin bags for fruit and vegetables, Sainsbury's pre-packed grape & cherry bags, bread bags, magazine covers, dry cleaners' bags and bubble wrap. They say if you're unsure to put the bag in for recycling anyway. If it can't be recycled they'll dispose of it safely.

Plastic bottles

Recycle in your grey bin. Wash but don't squash and please put the tops back on as this aids the mechanical sorting process. The plastic bottle bank at Asda in Wallasey has now closed.
Plastic bottles can be taken to HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby or to Bring sites at Tesco Heswall & Bidston, Sainsbury Upton & Prenton.

Plastic containers

Plastic containers can be recycled with plastic bottles ONLY at Sainsbury Upton and Sainsbury Prenton.
These include yoghurt pots, margarine tubs, ice cream containers and food trays - except those from meat.
Otherwise place in WBC green bins.

Plastic film

See 'Plastic bags'.

Plastics - hard / rigid

Hard plastics - are collected at HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby. These include - crates, empty barrels, empty drums, buckets, car bumpers, children's toys, bins, water and gas pipes, empty paint pots, plant pots, plastic pallets, plastic trays, drainage pipes, drainage chambers, plastic furniture and water butts.


Ask when appliances are delivered for them to take back any expanded polystyrene for the company to reuse or recycle.
CDP Services in Wirral can recycle polystyrene packaging chips (also called loosefill or peanuts). They can be contacted via: CDP Services Wirral Ltd, Birkenhead. Tel: 0151 653 8042 to arrange to deliver chips only please - not blocks.

Printer & toner cartridges

Most manufacturers will take back empty, original cartridges of their own brand. Contact your supplier for details.

St Johns Hospice will take them for fundraising and have collection points in all their shops.

Check your local library, as some have collection points.

Currys and Staples will also take toners, we believe.

Check out or


PVCu can now be taken to Bidston HWRC.


British Red Cross shops get money for their work by selling rags. Deliver to shops in Bromborough 343 0056, Upton 604 0913, New Ferry 644 1997, Hoylake 632 6937, Moreton 677 7316, Prenton 608 3372. Please clearly mark bags 'rags' to distinguish from sale items. Age Concern are now also asking for rags at any of their 10 stores, phone West Kirby 625 0125 for collection of goods if a large amount.

Textile banks at Household Waste Recycling Sites take rags too. These are currently sorted from reusable items and reprocessed by I & G Cohen.

Records (vinyl)

Specialist record shops still buy and sell vinyl LPs, singles and even 78s in good condition. Charity shops welcome vinyl donations (no more James Last or Sound Of Music LPs please). Record Fairs and Ebay are also a good place to trade or sell your vinyl.


Small amounts of rubble are accepted at HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby.

Scrap metal

Scrap metal, even if mixed with small amounts of other materials, may be taken to HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby.

Sewing machines

See under Tools for details of Workaid and Tools for Self Reliance.

Shoes / trainers

Many shoe shops take shoes and trainers to be recycled or resold in aid or charity shops. Check with yours. Shoe banks are at Dee Lane West Kirby; Asda Liscard, Bromborough & Woodchurch Road; Sainsbury Upton; Bromborough Allport Lane; and HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby. Please tie together in pairs or put in bags.


Soil can be recycled at HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby.


Drop them in to the WEN office in the Sandon Building, Falkland Road, Wallasey, CH44 8ER Mon, Tues or Fri 10.30 - 1.00, - there's a box in the entrance area.
Also collected by Wirral Lions at Bebington & Heswall libraries and at Arrowe Park Hospital eye department. Many opticians collect them for use in developing countries so check with yours. Alternatively, send clean, good condition spectacles well wrapped (without case) and pack them in a sturdy cardboard box clearly marked to: Vision Aid Overseas, 12 The Bell Centre, Newton Road, Manor Royal, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9 FZ enclosing a compliments slip (so that they know who to thank).


Drop them in to the WEN office in the Sandon Building, Falkland Road, Wallasey, CH44 8ER Mon, Tues or Fri 10.30 - 1.00, - there's a box in the entrance area.
Donate to the RNIB
  • Leave about 1cm of envelope bordering each stamp. The rest of the envelope can be discarded (which will make it cheaper to send).
  • Separate the stamps into British or Overseas
Collected stamps should be sent to:
RNIB Stamp Recycling, PO Box 185, BENFLEET, SS7 9BH
For any questions, please email or contact our Fundraising Team on 0845 345 0054 (Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm).


Working televisions can be sold by charity shops. British Heart Foundation & Roy Castle have collection services, YWCA also sell electrical goods. Non- working sets taken to HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby have reusable parts extracted.


See drinks cartons section above.


Textile banks are at HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby as well as at many schools.


Tools for Self Reliance ship high quality tools to Africa and the list of those needed changes according to requests made so check They accept round bobbin Singer sewing machines and electric machines with zigzag and embroidery stitches, both in good working order. Phone 023 8086 9697 or email to find where to donate. Nearest collector for 2014 is Ken Osborne 01625 433357

Workaid collects trade and DIY tools including sewing machines and bicycles. Phone 01494 775220 for the nearest collection point (office hours 9.30 - 12.30 & 1.30 to 4.30). See


Tyres are accepted at all Household Waste Recycling Centres - Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby.


Any UNOPENED rolls of wallpaper and borders can be donated to ReciproCity Wirral, Unit 5 New Way Business park, Oakdale Road (off Dock Road), Wallasey, CH644 7HT.

Any OPENED rolls to go in the grey bin, or offer to Wirral Play Council. Please phone (0151 650 0030 or 0151 201 7883) or email if suitable for craft.

Water filters

Britta water filters can be recycled at Sainsburys and Argos stores.
Any water filters can be recycled at the collection point in store at Tesco Bidston or Heswall.

Wedding dresses

Oxfam have a department at Heswall for wedding & bridesmaid dresses. Donate at any branch. Viewing and purchases on Saturdays, or by appointment.

White Goods

Cookers, washing machines, fridges, freezers etc. See entry under 'Electrical goods'.


Timber & wood can be recycled at HWRCs at Bidston, Clatterbridge and West Kirby.

Wirral Play Council can use the following materials for use in arts and craft activities with children - Paper or card off cuts; rope, ribbon and string; fabric, wool and thread; wallpaper and paint; packaging materials.
Please phone (0151 650 0030) or email if you think you have suitable materials to donate and to arrange to deliver goods to1 Berner St, Birkenhead, Merseyside CH41 4JY.

Information is supplied in good faith and we have tried to be as accurate and up-to-date as we can, but we take no responsibility for any problems however caused. If you spot a mistake, or would like to add to this list, please contact us.
Wirral Environmental Network, Sandon Building, Falkland Road, Wallasey, CH44 8ER.
Tel 0151 639 2121, or email

Remember to print on both sides of the paper!

Distributed in conjunction with Transition Town West Kirby ( 0151 632 5366